Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Play Ball!

I don't know if you have ever been to a 5-6 year old t-ball/baseball game, but I HIGHLY recommend it sometime.  From the moment you arrive at the field it is pure hilarity.

So the boys had their first game last weekend.  I did not get them into sports earlier than this because I just assumed it to be a waste of time and effort.  3-year old soccer is just silly.  So this really was their first experience and on top of it all, they only had 2 practices to date.  They had spent a grand total of 2 hours learning about baseball and were now going to try to play a game.

I will readily admit that I have not hammered sports into their heads, I don't want to be "that Dad", but if you know me you would know I like my sports, I like competition, and I want my kids to be good at it.  So there is a bit of pain watching your kids dig in the dirt while playing third base, standing completely still when a ball is hit at them.  They stare at it like the ball had koodies.

Enough with the generalities, lets talk about the specifics.  First of all, I was beaming with pride as BOTH of my boys hit from the pitching machine in their second at bat.  Both made contact.  It was amazing.  Carson actually had a pretty good hit to boot.  The true joy came after contact.  When Carson  hit, he hit it right back to the pitcher and it was a good enough hit that she scooped it.  Both kids (Carson with bat in hand, her with ball in glove) stood there, still as stone, while 70 parents screamed directions at them.  I was over by 3rd base and as Carson found me he had this priceless expression of "now what"!  The kid playing pitcher didn't want to tag him and  he didn't want to run her over so they stood there, slow dancing.  I don't think I have ever laughed so hard.

Becks experience was just as awesome, my favorite moment being his running from second straight to home after a hit by another kid.  After all he did exactly what we told him, he just skipped a step.  Both boys were so proud of themselves and I was so proud of them.  It was an awesome moment for me and I hope for them.  Bumpa was there and got some pics and I think a video of the action.  I will post it as soon as I can get it from him.

We have another game in two weeks.  Now, I just have to teach them to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment